Volunteers in Medicine Berkshires Seeks Development Assistant
Reporting to the Director of Development and communications, VIM’s Development Assistant will provide support required for the Development and Communications Department’s activities in the areas of events, donor relations, communications and grants. The position is part-time (approx. 20 hrs/week), non-exempt and paid on an hourly basis. Because it is part of a small department in a dynamic organization that is highly visible in the community, the person in this position has great potential for success, growth and professional fulfillment.
Specific responsibilities of this position are:
- Manage the logistics of VIM Berkshires’ special events
Donor Relations Support
- Maintain accurate and complete records in the database
- Research prospects
- Manage donation acknowledgements
- Collect data and produce relevant reports
- Collaborate closely with the Operations Manager on all tasks related to database management
- Support the execution of content development for social media, web site, email/e-blasts, direct mail, newsletters, presentations, leave-behinds, and all other communications to donors and the community; develop content as needed, esp. photos and videos
- Manage the production and distribution of appeal letters, invitations, thank you notes and other fundraising/communication materials
- Respond effectively to the requirements of development and communications committees
- Support grant submission and fulfillment
This position involves a great deal of interaction and collaboration with people in VIM and the greater Berkshire community. Our ideal candidate is one who can shine on behalf of VIM; a person who is dynamic, engaging, thoughtful, an effective communicator and extremely well organized while balancing several tasks. While skills and characteristics are essential, a background in development work and communications is helpful. Particular skills and characteristics we seek in candidates are:
- An energetic, customer service-oriented personality
- Passion for VIM’s mission
- Experience managing special events
- Attention to work accuracy, timeliness and completeness
- Aptitude with technology: Microsoft Office, Donor Perfect database, social media, photography and videography
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally
- Team player who can also work independently, prioritize, take initiative and problem-solve
- A high degree of integrity and discretion
Since we opened our doors in 2004, demand for VIM’s services has grown considerably. VIM has saved lives and treated thousands of patients in more than 40,000 clinical visits for integrated medical and dental care, behavioral health services, optometry, nutrition counseling, massage and acupuncture.
VIM’s innovative programs — Shared Medical Appointments, Non-Opioid Pain Management and free transportation provided by volunteers — are unique in Berkshire County. Our bi-lingual Patient Services Coordinator helps patients address critical non-medical issues, otherwise known as the Social Determinants of Health.
VIM has gained widespread recognition for its comprehensive care, winning the National Gold Medal Award from the Henry Schein Cares Foundation and an Excellence in Innovation Nomination from the Massachusetts Non-Profit Network. Two of VIM’s founders have been named Senior Volunteer Physician of the Year by the Massachusetts Medical Society and one was awarded the American Medical Association’s Excellence in Volunteerism.
VIM Berkshires is affiliated with Volunteers in Medicine America (VIMA), which has helped to establish 88 free clinics in 26 states. In 2004, when a dedicated group of doctors, business people and community volunteers established VIM Berkshires, we became the 30th VIMA facility nationally. VIM Berkshires was the first in New England and is the only one in Massachusetts.
To Apply, Inquire or Nominate contact
Michele Shalaby, Human Resources Manager